Whether you need to insure another driver for your car or require temporary cover yourself for another vehicle, there are times when you need short term car insurance.
With comprehensive policies available for a period from one to 28 days, short-term car insurance gives you instant cover with very little hassle – and what’s more, there’s no risk to your No Claims Bonus.
What is temporary car insurance?
- Fully comprehensive cover for cars from 1 day up to 28 days.
- An alternative to a 12 month policy, it’s a short term car insurance solution for everyday tasks like a trip to the supermarket or emergencies where someone may need to borrow your car but they’re not covered by your existing insurance policy.
Who might it be good for?
- Classic car enthusiasts – If you own a classic car or sports car that’s used as a second car, you might be interested in taking out weekend insurance to cover you for that short period where you want to head out and make the most of your car
- Learner drivers – If you’re learning to drive and only have time to fit in lessons every now and then, taking out insurance as and when you need it could be cheaper than taking out a full length policy
- One day insurance – If you have an emergency or need to use a car to move home, you could arrange one day insurance to cover your needs
How does short term car insurance work?
With the vehicle owner’s permission, you can quickly and easily arrange a policy to start from the moment you’ve bought it.
You’ll need to fill in a few of bits of information:
- Details about yourself including your name and address
- Your licence and driving history
- Details of the car you’d like to insure
- The date and time you’d like cover to begin and end
A temporary car insurance policy could be useful in an emergency to sort out one day car insurance or cover for routine tasks like taking a trip to the shop, getting to work if your car is in the garage for repair or borrowing a bigger car to help you move house.
What does short term car insurance offer?
A short term policy offers an alternative to a 12 month policy, but if you’re unsure whether it could be what you need, take a look at some of the features it includes:
- The option of immediate cover from the moment you’ve bought it
- Peace of mind that you’re insured to drive
- Daily insurance or even cover for just one day
- Arrange cover for up to 30 days in advance
- Optional cover for alloy wheels, scratches and dents and misfuelling
If you’re looking for temp cover for a van, take a look at our temporary van insurance page.
Click on the ‘GET A QUOTE’ button to start the process and find a policy for your car.
How we can help
- Immediate comprehensive cover available
- Cover from one to 28 days (if you’re over 18 and meet the necessary requirements)
- No risk to your No Claims Bonus
- Children returning from University, wanting to borrow family car
- Car sharing going on holiday
- An easy way to add another driver to your cover.
- Vans up to 7.5 tonne
- Borrowing a van to move furniture
- Click on the ‘GET A QUOTE’ button to start the process and find a policy for your car.